Saturday, November 17, 2007

The journey begins -1

You all know the first post is not actually that difficult. Once you are done with it, you revisit it and secretly marvel at your 'communicative abilities' and surely feel happy with your 'vocabulary' ,easily the best , this side of Suez Canal. Nothing short of that !!

The reality dawns when you see that invariably you have over committed what you want to talk on and surely the dreaded, sinking feeling surfaces within you - what if you under perform?

Never mind, I have already made my confession. So I can move on to make amends and justify the title of this blog - The journey begins..

The initial days were cool - no targets to be met , no meetings to be attended to - and the ubiquitious honeymoon phase too was on.

Honestly, one could have not undertaken this move without consulting the better half. I remember the day when I broke this news to her - after a mock rehearsal in the erstwhile office toilet - that I am planning to be voluntarily in a lay off phase for a while. In this case, just five years!!

Looking up at my face and matching my gaze, she just told me that it is your call, honey! Nothing melodramatic, sorry folks, if I am disappointing you all out there.

The kids too were told that Daddy dearest would take a break for some time. Innocent that they were, their assumption was that may be I would lounge around in the house for a few days and get back into the 'bread winning' mode soon. I remember even telling my kids- then all of 12 and 7 respectively- that I was seriously thinking of starting my own office and continue with my consultancy role which I was playing till then in my own line of activity.

The family still found it strange, neverthless. The kids were quite taken up with the fact that the eternal absentee of the house - the father - was around as they went to school and surprise, surprise as they returned from school. Hesitantly, questions were raised and answers sought - Appa, no office today?

I did it as I planned but then the conflict of interests, the revenue versus the sustainability model of one's own dream plans and how the Pied Piper approach of mine attracted its own gang of folks into my world, both professional and personal......

More of that later.....








No comments: